This recipe is easy to make, requiring just 10 ingredients and simple methods! Plus, it all comes together in a little over 1 hour.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, finely diced
- Salt + Pepper (to taste)
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional // or sub more vegetable broth)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (DIY or store-bought)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (chopped // or sub 1 tsp dried per 2 tsp fresh)
- 1 15-ounce can white beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 10 Tbsp cold vegan butter (or sub room temperature coconut oil*)
- 4-7 Tbsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and arrange 6 (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) ramekins on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and onion. Season with a pinch each salt and pepper and stir. Sauté until soft and translucent - 4-5 minutes.
- Add carrots and season with a pinch more salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes, then add flour and stir well to thoroughly coat.
- Cook for 1 minute, then slowly add white wine (optional) followed by vegetable broth, whisking to prevent clumps.
- Add thyme and white beans and bring the mixture to a simmer. Then lower heat to low and simmer for a few minutes. Cover and remove from heat while preparing crust.
- To prepare pie crust, add flour and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Next add vegan butter (or coconut oil) and use a pastry cutter (or fork) to cut the two together, until it resembles wet sand - about 30-45 seconds.
- Add ice cold water 1 Tbsp at a time and use a wooden spoon to gently mix. Add only as much water as needed to help it come together and form a dough - about 4-6 Tbsp (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
- Use your hands to gently knead/form the dough in the bowl and gather any loose scraps. Then transfer directly to a well-floured surface and form into a disc with your hands.
- Lightly flour the top of the dough, as well as a rolling pin, and gently roll out until about 1/8-inch thick. Add more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Use a pizza cutter or knife to cut into 6 (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size) large squares slightly larger than the size of your ramekins.
- At this time, scoop the white bean filling into the ramekins until almost entirely full (reserve any leftovers to enjoy as soup or future pot pies).
- Use a lightly floured spatula to scoop each pie crust square onto a ramekin. Repeat until all ramekins are covered. Use a knife or toothpick to create small holes in the top of the pie crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pot pies for 35-40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the pie crust is golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in a 350 degree F (176 C ) oven until completely warmed through.
- *If using coconut oil in place of the vegan butter, see this Coconut Oil Pie Crust article for tips and method.
- *Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated using all of the crust and filling.